Last updated July 29, 2015
This privacy statement applies to The Sigma Foundation’s (“Sigma Coding”) websites, services and products that collect data and display these terms (“Sigma Coding Sites & Services“). Sigma Coding, Inc. is located and operated from the United States. This privacy statement applies only to information collected through Sigma Coding Sites & Services and not to information collected offline.
All references to “us,” “we,” or “our” refer to The Sigma Foundation, Inc (Sigma Coding).
All references to “child” or “children” refer to children under the age of 13.
By accessing or otherwise using any of our Sigma Coding Sites & Services, you are consenting to the terms contained in this privacy statement, including the collection, use and disclosure of data as described below.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Information You Provide
Through our Sigma Coding Sites & Services, we collect information about you and/or your child when you choose to provide it to us. For example, we collect information from you in order to use Sigma Coding Sites & Services, purchase products and services, register for and obtain an account, request information, apply for a job, register for one of our programs, or verify your age. In general, you may provide us with the following types of information:
- Contact Information such as name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number (note to parents/guardians of children, if our Sigma Coding Sites & Services are either directed to children or we have actual knowledge that a user is under 13 years old, the child will be asked to have his or her parent or guardian continue the registration process)
- Month, day, and year of birth
- Course interests
- Billing Information such as credit card number, and billing address
- User names to third-party systems (for example, Facebook)
- Information provided on forums or chat rooms within our Sigma Coding Sites & Services (note to parents/guardians of children, forums and chat rooms permit a child user to enter comments through which the child could provide personal information that would be visible to other users)
- Information included in resumes and job applications.
Note to Parents/Guardians: We only collect the information described above from a child when the child’s parent or guardian provides us with verifiable consent, unless one of the limited exceptions discussed below applies. For more information and/or to review these limited exceptions, please see the “Our Commitment to Children’s Privacy” section below.
Sigma Coding Sites & Services do not recognize Do Not Track headers or similar mechanisms.
Your Ability to Control Cookies and Similar Technologies
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. Check the “Tools” or “Help” tab on your browser to learn how to change your cookie and other tracking preferences.
If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the functions of Sigma Coding Sites & Services and/or some of our services will function improperly, in particular the inability to login or manage items in your shopping cart. We do not share cookie data with any third-parties.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We may use the information we collect from and about you and/or your child for any of the following purposes:
- Allow you to register yourself or your child with Sigma Coding Sites & Services, or to otherwise register and open an account with us;
- Allow you and/or your child to use Sigma Coding Sites & Services;
- Fulfill orders, process payments and prevent transactional fraud;
- Respond to your or your child’s requests or inquiries;
- Provide you or your child with information about our products and services;
- Consider you for employment or a volunteer opportunity;
- Register you or your child in one of our programs;
- Verify your child’s age;
- Monitor and improve Sigma Coding Sites & Services, support the internal operations of Sigma Coding Sites & Services, personalize your online experience, and for internal analysis;
- Protect the security or integrity of Sigma Coding Sites & Services and our business;
- Facilitate the sale or potential sale of our business or any of our assets; or
- As required by law.
HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
We do not sell or otherwise share your or your child’s information with any third-parties, except for the limited purposes described below. Parents/guardians of children under the age of 13 have the option of consenting to the collection and use of their child’s personal information without consenting to the disclosure of that information to certain third parties.
Law Enforcement and Safety
We may access, preserve, and/or disclose the information we collect and/or content you and/or your child provides to us (including information posted on our forums) to a law enforcement agency or other third parties if required to do so by law or with a good faith belief that such access, preservation, or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (i) comply with legal process; (ii) enforce the Terms and Conditions of Sigma Coding Sites & Services; (iii) respond to claims that the content violates the rights of third parties; or (iv) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of the owners or users of Sigma Coding Sites & Services, a third party or the general public. We also may disclose information whenever we believe disclosure is necessary to limit our legal liability; to protect or defend our rights or property; or protect the safety, rights, or property of others.
Information collected through Sigma Coding Sites & Services may be transferred, disclosed or shared with third parties engaged by us to handle and deliver certain activities, such as payment processing or mail/e-mail distribution, and to perform other technical and processing functions, such as maintaining data integrity, programming operations, user services or technology services. We may provide these third parties information collected as needed to perform their functions, but they are prohibited from using it for other purposes and specifically agree to maintain the confidentiality of such information. Some of these providers, such as payment processors, may request additional information during the course of offering their services. Before you provide additional information to third party providers, we encourage you to review their privacy policies and information collection practices.
During the normal course of our business, we may sell or purchase assets. If another entity may acquire and/or acquires us or any of our assets, information we have collected about you may be transferred to such entity. In addition, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, such information may be considered an asset of ours and may be sold or transferred to third parties. Should a sale or transfer occur, we will use reasonable efforts to try to require that the transferee use personal information provided through our Sigma Coding Sites & Services in a manner that is consistent with this privacy statement.
OUR COMMITMENT TO CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
Protecting the privacy of children is paramount. We understand that users and visitors of our Sigma Coding Sites & Services who are under 13 years of age need special safeguards and privacy protection. It is our intent to fully comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
Our Sigma Coding Sites & Services are intended for general audiences. We do not knowingly permit anyone under 13 years of age to provide us with personal information without obtaining a parent’s or guardian’s verifiable consent, except where:
- the sole purpose of collecting the name or online contact information of a parent or child is to provide notice and obtain parental consent;
- the purpose of collecting a parent’s online contact information is to provide voluntary notice to, and subsequently update the parent about, the child’s participation in our Sigma Coding Sites & Services that do not otherwise collect, use, or disclose childrens’ personal information;
- the sole purpose of collecting online contact information from a child is to respond directly on a one-time basis to a specific request from the child, and where such information is not used to re-contact the child or for any other purpose, is not disclosed, and is deleted by us promptly after responding to the child’s request;
- the purpose of collecting a child’s and a parent’s online contact information is to respond directly more than once to the child’s specific request, and where such information is not used for any other purpose, disclosed, or combined with any other information collected from the child;
- the purpose of collecting a child’s and a parent’s name and online contact information, is to protect the safety of a child, and where such information is not used or disclosed for any purpose unrelated to the child’s safety;
- we collect a persistent identifier and no other personal information and such identifier is used for the sole purpose of providing support for the internal operations of Sigma Coding Sites & Services; or
- Otherwise permitted or required by law.
If we receive the verifiable consent of a child’s parent or guardian to collect, use and/or disclose the child’s information, we will only collect, use and disclose the information as described in this privacy statement. Some features of our Sigma Coding Sites & Services permit a child user to enter comments, such as forums and chat rooms, through which the child could provide personal information that would be visible to other users. If you are the parent or guardian of a child user, please advise your child of the risks of posting personal information on this Sigma Coding Sites & Services or any other site.
If you are a parent or guardian, you can review or have deleted your child’s personal information, and refuse to permit further collection or use of your child’s information. To exercise any of these rights, please e-mail us at email@example.com or send your request to:
Sigma Coding · 972 Artesia Blvd · Hermosa Beach, CA 90254 Client Service Telephone Number: 424-282-4800
RESTRICTIONS ON CHILD USERS
Children under 13 years of age are prevented from accessing areas of Sigma Coding Sites & Services which include, but are not restricted to client account information, unless approved by their parent or guardian and any course content defined as age inappropriate by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB).
FORUMS AND CHATS
We may offer forums and chat rooms. Please be aware that anyone may read postings on a forum or in a chat room. Furthermore, any information which is posted to a forum or chat room could include personal information, which would be disclosed and available to all users of that forum or chat room, and is therefore no longer private. We cannot guarantee the security of information that any user discloses or communicates online in public areas such as forums and chat rooms. Those who do so, do so at their own risk. We reserve the right to monitor the content of the forums and chat rooms. If age inappropriate content or potentially identifiable information is seen, it may be removed or edited by us for security, privacy and/or legal reasons. We will not republish postings from forums or chat rooms anywhere on the Web.
LINKS AND THIRD PARTIES
At our discretion, we may include or offer third-party websites, products and services on Sigma Coding Sites & Services. These third-party sites, products and services have separate and independent privacy policies. You should consult the respective privacy policies of these third-parties. We have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of linked sites, products or services.
Our Sigma Coding Sites & Services may contain links to other third-party websites, chat rooms, or other resources that we provide for your convenience. These sites are not under our control, and we are not responsible for the content available on other sites. Such links do not imply any endorsement of material on our part and we expressly disclaim all liability with regard to your access to such sites. Access to any other websites linked to from Sigma Coding Sites & Services is at your own risk.
Our Sigma Coding Sites & Services is operated and managed on servers located in the United States. If you choose to use our Sigma Coding Sites & Services from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and uses that differ from the United States, then, you recognize and agree that you are transferring your personal information outside of those regions to the United States and you consent to that transfer.
DATA SECURITY COMMITMENT
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect. We also use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol on your account information and registration pages to protect sensitive personal information. Sensitive data is encrypted on our Sigma Coding Sites & Services and when stored on the servers.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Your use of our Sigma Coding Sites & Services, and any information you provide on our Sigma Coding Sites & Services, are subject to the terms of the Sigma Coding, Inc. (referred to as “Sigma Coding”) Terms and Conditions.
PRIVACY STATEMENT CHANGES
We will occasionally amend this privacy statement. We reserve the right to change, modify, add, or remove portions of this statement at any time. If we materially change our use of your personal information, we will announce such a change on relevant Sigma Coding Sites & Services, and will also note it in this privacy statement. The effective date of this privacy statement is documented at the beginning of the statement. If you have any questions about our privacy statement, please contact us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 972 Artesia Blvd, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254.
SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT GOOGLE ADVERTISING
Any advertisements served by Google, Inc., and affiliated companies may be controlled using cookies. These cookies allow Google to display ads based on your visits to this site and other sites that use Google advertising services. Learn how to opt out of Google’s cookie usage. As mentioned above, any tracking done by Google through cookies and other mechanisms is subject to Google’s own privacy policies.